Friday, October 1, 2010

SavageMan 2010: Race Report (yep, I wasn't racing)

SavageMan Race Report: My AWESOME friend Lindy picked me up at 3:30 a.m. and drove me to Western Maryland to the SavageMan 70.3 Triathlon. We arrived a little after 7 a.m. and had an amazing day. As spectators.



Yes, this blog was started to track my training and fundraising for the 2010 SavageMan 70.3  Triathlon to benefit the Joanna Nicolay Melanoma Foundation. The training posts abruptly stopped during the first week of June. Let me explain...

I was cycling home from work one evening during the first week of June, 2010, moving along at a pretty good clip, when a woman in a sedan turned left in front of me. It was just about here:

To make a long story short, I took an ambulance ride to the hospital! I broke my back and did some serious damage to the left side of my body. I ended up having shoulder surgery and got myself some titanium and cadaver ligaments! Mark took really good care of me all summer. I mean ALL SUMMER. What a great guy! After a ton of physical therapy, I went back to the office full-time in November and in January I did my first post-accident run. My physio therapist limited it to 10 steps of running, but it was a run! The rest is history. I still don't think I'm capable of doing the SavageMan--cycling in traffic is a bit nerve wracking and cycling, generally, is hard on my back. But I'm really excited to be training for a marathon. And SavageMan, I WILL be back! Not just to spectate, but to ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment